Monday, May 25, 2009

S & M BBQ

Steve & Megan (ha, get it - S & M!) threw a great (OMG STEF JUST CALLED AND TOLD ME SHE BROKE HER HAND WHEN DIVING INTO A POOL!!! WTF?) bbq last night. The weather held out and it was a gorgeous afternoon, dusk and evening. I brought my crowd favorite black bean and corn salsa. I also concocted these "Heaven Banana Bites" (Thanks Shannan! They were a hit). I made 60 and decided I could spare a couple and shared with everyone else. And lastly, Liz and I collaborated and made our new signature drink, the "Vodka-Sherbet Float." Mix citrus vodka and a scoop of lime sherbet together. Throw a couple more scoops of sherbet in there, top with club soda and a squeeze of lime. Stir/Mix to your liking. Getting summer drunk just got way easier. You're welcome.

Even though those floats were damn good, the biggest treat of the evening was served when I walked out the back door to yell to Megan and saw Richard. Sitting there. Talking to her.

I immediately ran back inside to go freak out in the bathroom. I collected myself and tried again.

"Megan!" I forced out. "Come try the dessert, they're finished and fantastic!" He's looking at me now. I go back inside. After a moment I know Megan isn't coming inside. She's making me come out and face him, so I grab a platter of the banana cream pudding toffee phyllo cup goodness and head out. My palms start to sweat because my hands are trembling.

"Play it cool, Natasha... you got this."

I would give myself a B on coolness, an A on cuteness and a C on smoothness and game. Which, historically speaking, is a great grade card for me. We chatted. I talked a bit about running. I asked him about his summer plans (he's a teacher...hot), he shared with me this program he saw on PBS (melt) about female suicide bombers in Palestine. He had his phone out at one point, so I grab my balls and gave him my number. So, while technically he didn't ASK for my number, he has it now.

Then his phone rang, so I took the opportunity to use the little girls room and chat with people inside.

When I came back outside and saw that, in my absence, a chick/friend/date/girl-I-didn't-know-and-is-now-there-with-him is there... I...was...crushed. And embarrassed. Awwww, man! What craptastic Memorial Day BBQ Luck!

So I did what anyone else in my fabulous $12.99 Target shoes would have done. I grabbed 2 more drinks, sat down with my girls and had a great night. Yes, I was disappointed, but no harm no foul, right? Plus, I don't know who this girl is, so I am not going to let hope die so easy. I mean, I've been crushing on this guy since January and I'm too stubborn and hard headed to let it go that quickly and without having any say in the matter!

But, seriously, it really was a great party. Plenty of friends, food and vodka-floats. Rob was a little weird in that Rob kind of way but that just meant that everything was normal. I think it really disturbed him when I told him that I was his "desert rose." Megan tripped over her tongue and came up with lots of new phrases (e.i. "We got a lot a little bit.") Steve even strung up lights for ambiance. Liz was gorgeous in the green gown and peacock earrings she borrowed from Whitney, and, Whitney herself almost put back a full two bottles of Brute (I might have helped a little bit). Oh, and Ms. Brooke was just plain hawt.

I am so thankful for my awesome friends (they truly, truly are) and each and everyone of them have come to mean so much to me and in the funny way the universe works, it was a blessing to be reminded of that on Memorial Day weekend when not only is it important to remember and honor those that fight and have died for our country, it is important to remember why.

I love you all. And thank you for putting up with me while I go through this phase/boy.

Now, let's all put our heads together and come up with a plan!

No comments: