Tuesday, January 18, 2011

MHIBTY Goes to the Movies

My DVD player is back in working order. I'm not sure what happened. Preliminary conclusion is that I had the red and yellow inputs switched, though, I would have sworn I checked those. Oh well, I'm not entirely surprised that I forgot to look. Regardless, now I can now resume my Netflix membership

I don't watch a terrible amount of movies. I don't have anything against them, I actually LOVE movies, but I've just seen a below average amount of them. I will admit that I've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Adams Family, Patch Adams or any of the Family Vacations. I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time last summer. There are more, but I'm not going there today.

Today is another "no qualifications" review (and I use that world loosely) of all the movies I've seen since Thanksgiving.

Very Bad Things
Sabrina recommended this movie and said "this is the what inspired 'the hangover.'" With that, I was ready for hilarity to ensue while the bachelors romped through Vegas 1999 style. And then Jeremy Piven accidentally killed the hooker and Christan Slater went bat sh!t crazy. The body count kept growing and I kept waiting for Mike Tyson to make his cameo. Soon I realized that Sabrina had misspoke - this movie hadn't inspired "The Hangover," "Very Bad Things" is what happened when "The Hangover" and "American Physcho" had a baby.

What About Bob
Bill Murray is a classic. This movie is brilliant in its simplicity and I'm so glad to have finally watched it. Right off the bat you're irritated with Richard Dryfuss's arrogant doctor character and I was smitten with Bob's adorable fear or everything. I loved the formula of the movie and the characters were endearing.
Eat Pray Love
The book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

Harry Potter 7.1
I struggled between which made me more lame: wanting to go see this movie or not having someone to go with? I ended up seeing it with Jennie - whose girlfriend didn't want to see it, so it was a date by default. But of course I thought it was AWESOME.

Half Baked
I had never seen this one either and was just, mostly, watching it so I'd get the references. It made me miss the Chappelle Show thats fo sho.

Une Femme Est Une Femme
A French film, "A Woman is a Woman" was a fun and endearing story about a woman in the 1960's that wanted to have a baby but her boyfriend wasn't hip to the idea. One of my favorite scenes was early on when they were going to sleep and she kept coming onto him.

Her "My fanny is cold."
Him "I'm not falling for that."

Love Actually
I am a sucker for this movie. It's a Christmas Movie. It's a Romantic Comedy. It's British.

Black Swan
It failed to give me the heebie jeebies like it did for Shan, but that's mainly because I psyched myself out for it because it had skeered her so much. It was a genuine thriller set in a world perfect for the dramatics it created. Plus it was a great way to familiarize a new generation to the story of Swan Lake. You guys knew I used to be a ballerina, right?


And by "ballerina" I mean I took ballet classes from some lady, who owned a small studio in Prairie Village Kansas, from 2nd to 7th grade. And now I have something in common with Natalie Portman... "SO we were both in a production of Swan Lake..."

No comments: