Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's SOOOOO funny?

At the age of 9 I was allowed to tag along with my sister, cousin and a few of their friends to go see Fried Green Tomatoes. I was with my older sister and eating candy in a dark theater thinking life couldn't get any better.... the poignant story was lost on me... when during the "barbecue" scene the theater erupted in laughter after the line "... the secret is in the sauce."

Everyone was laughing and I didn't know why. Panic stricken, I tried to replay the scene and piece together the dialogue to get the punch line, but I couldn't. A combination of intent concentration on my whoppers and skittles and the fact that I was only nine years old led me to miss the joke.

I didn't realized the laughter had completely died when I turned to my sister and, loudly, asked "What's SOOOOO funny?"

A few giggles sprang up throughout the crowd and I immediately realized I was not only a dunce, but a dense dunce and broadcasted to EVERYONE that I didn't get the joke...that the secret was NOT the sauce however, but instead the meat.

Anyway, fast forward to today. I received an email from a friend who asked if she is a bad person for getting a laugh out of the name Kimberly Hunt...initials K. Hunt. Seeing nothing wrong or even remotely funny, I didn't think so. I assumed, rightly, I was missing something. I replied all and asked "Did something just go over my head?"

When another friend replied "say it quickly..." the sting of public embarrassment I knew from the movie theater came rushing back.

MY EXCUSE for not getting it at first, I'll tell you, is that I just don't have a dirty mind and that word just isn't a part of my vernacular. And now I have to go back and re-read all my old posts to see if I ever dropped the See You Next Tuesday bomb.

No comments: