Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Does having read "The Babysitter Club" books qualify me for this job?

Mr. James
I've been asked to babysit.

Let me give you time to control your laughing.

Quite done?

Now, let me assure you that I was not The Mom's #1 pick. I do not take that as an insult, rather as a reassurance that my friends know me. I think I fell no higher than #5, which is where I expect to land. Well before random stranger, but after grandma, friends with children, adults that like watching kids and the paid babysitter.

This little boy, James, holds a very special place in my heart that, dare I say, no other child has. He's smart, sweet, funny and calls me "Na-cha-cha!" Melt.

I just worry about the future of our relationship. Up until this coming Saturday from 10:00am - 2:00pm, James and I have never been alone together. I've always had the safety net of adult supervision. If he cried, his mom or dad was there to take care of the dirty diaper, scratched knee or grumpy mood. If he started misbehaving, grandma was there to swat his behind and get him to play nice. If I couldn't handle Go Diego Go, I left the room and made someone else keep an eye on him.The Mom is a dear friend, and I pride myself on being a good friend. Therefore, it is an honor to be asked to watch her child. But I lack the patience and selflessness that is required for even a decent babysitter. If a kid starts doing something to annoy or frustrate me, I'm out. This is frowned upon if you're asked to, solely, watch over a small human being for 4 hours.

This kid does have something going for him that no other kid left in my charge has ever had. I love the little guy! This will probably give him a cushion or at least an allowance of sorts for what he can do before my maternal reserve runs dry.

So, this coming Saturday, I'll be responsible for a small child.

Yeah, I'm scared too....

1 comment:

Stevester said...

Whew, I thought it was just me that had a horrible track record with kids! I hate the little buggers! Wait.....