Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Good Face

Poor Sammy Davis Jr. Either he is getting on my nerves OR I've just been more irritable than normal, I'm not sure, but I've been short with him lately. He was a good snuggle buddy in the winter, but, now that the nights are warming I don't need him cozying into my side and camping out there. I'm too young for night sweats.

He and I haven't been together very long, just since this past September have he and I been roomies. I forget that sometimes. There are time when it feels he and I have been together for over 20 years. Not only because he is close to being just that old, but also because he looks 98% like the cat my family had when I was growing up. A big old Siamese named Limburg... a gift to my brother Daniel from (you guessed it) my Grandma.

This cat came along in the late 80's and was sent to the big farm in the sky a few years ago. Limburg was a solitary and moody old cantankerous cat and didn't care much for "snuggling" and "not biting" you. This cat ATE MY PET BIRD when I was 10. I didn't much care for the guy.

So, when I have a bad day and come home to an apartment covered in cat hair and a smelly litter box that needs to be scooped and the culprit is kinda like your stinky uncle; a guy that needs to crash on your couch for a while (until he kicks it) because his old-lady (your grandma) won't pay his rent no more.... and he looks JUST like the asshole that devoured my most beloved pet, Miss Corrie, in the whole entire world (a pain I might not fully be over)?!?!?!?!

I don't want to see his face.

But then I see his face. And I can't help but fall for the old mangled-faced guy. Maybe that's what Limburg didn't have going for him. He needed to get hit by a car and have a fat lip with crooked face for me to love him. And the very least I'd have felt some vindication for Miss Corrie.